Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Stylin' - A Peek at our Homeschool Style

We have homeschooled for quite some time now and sometimes I feel like we've done ALL THE THINGS!!

If you're a homeschooler, you know that some curriculums or methods work like magic and some...well, not so much. Sometimes you just say, "It's time for school!" and you get this reaction.


Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the kids, but the Ugly Cry face happens. 

Some books are perfect for some families and then I find they make MY kids want to tuck tail and haul hiney in the opposite direction. That's when *I* Ugly Cry. All my rainbow-coated dreams of perfection just went down the tubes with scrawled on worksheets. Sometimes even little doodles with speech bubbles containing "Mutiny" tucked in the margins. 

Learning doesn't have to be a painful experience. Thankfully that's something I've learned on this journey. If it doesn't work and it's causing stress in your home, you have the freedom to change it. And change it we have over the last few years. 

Some of my favorite things we're using this year:

**Disclaimer: I am not affliated with any of these sites or companies. The following are my personal opinions expressed to you because I like to share things that make my life easier.** 



Holy cow, these babies are a lifesaver. It's a software that teaches the lecture, tracks the completed lessons, and grades them for you. Shhhh. If you're quiet, you can hear the songs of praise from ecstatic homeschool mamas everywhere. 


Khan has been talked about for a while now, but if you haven't checked it out yet, do so. It's set up where students earn badges as they learn, moves them along, and has several subjects to choose from: Math, Science, Economics, Arts and Humanities, Coding... Best of all, it's FREE! F to the R to the E, E, E!! I added an extra E for Excitement. Or maybe out of excitement. 


This is an excellent supplemental website. It has videos, printable worksheets for the video lesson, online quizzes, and it covers a myriad of topics. There are some free options available, but for all access to the site, you'd have to buy a yearly membership.

Mystery Science

This is a complete science curriculum for 2nd-5th grades. It's so cool! It's all laid out for you, so no need to put everything together unless you're wanting to add to it. AND it's also FREE right now until the end of the school year, so if you want to give it a try without committing, it's a great time.

Some other amazing sites we use quite a bit...

Pinterest.

OMG I have oodles and gobs of boards for homeschooling (and other things). I'm loving being able to pin something, try it out, and if it doesn't work, it gets deleted. If it does, then it graduates to my bookmarks on my computer.

TeachersPayTeachers

I have only downloaded freebies from this site, but I have prowled through quite a bit and was wowed. There are so many things that teachers are using in their classrooms and they've made them available! Awesome ideas that are just a download away!


Very similar to TPT, but offer a lot more freebies. You can also subscribe to their emails about freebies so you're in the know.


I could go on and on about all the things we use, but this post would wind up wrapping around the world 3 times. Go check these out and see if they can help you! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment