Thursday, June 15, 2017

A Peek at our Spontaneous Kitchen Remodel

So we have lived in this house 11 years now. It definitely doesn't seem like 11 years! It's easy to keep up with because we barely made moving in before boy #3 was born. Like we literally moved in the last of our stuff and 3 days later, I birthed a ginormous baby. That's cutting it pretty darn close!

When we first built this place, my kitchen was ama-zah-zing!!!

Copper and cabinets for daaaayz!! 

Gorgeous cabinets.

Plenty of workspace.

Loads of storage.

Beautiful copper countertops. 

It was seriously a showplace.

And I LOVED IT.

Until I realized copper countertops are like having an infant in your kitchen. 

You have to baby them. There is no "I'll just wipe this down with soapy water and be done."

Nope. You have to keep them dry or they oxidize and stain your clothes. Not to mention how copper is like a giant mood ring and almost everything will leave some sort of spot on it. 

I am not neat in the kitchen. Real life happens. Flour showers happen.


I need a way to clean up easily. 

So for 11 years, my countertop cleaning routine was scrub off anything stuck to the counters (use a razor blade if need be), dry them with a towel, and then spray with glass cleaner and wipe down. It never felt like it looked clean to me. I was always worried it looked gross when I had guests. I daydreamed for a long time about updating the countertops. I mean, I married a guy who sets amazing tile. He can make amazing things. He is extremely talented in multiple trades AND has supreme taste in women. (HELLO. He married me after all.) But I didn't want to trouble ... harass him about it because Super Hubby needs some downtime.

Imagine my surprise when he announced a couple of weekends ago,

"Hey, we're going to re-do your kitchen this weekend."


via GIPHY


Part of me wanted to laugh it off, but the desperate housewife part of me was all over that idea like stink on a skunk. I was so tired of it taking so much longer to clean the kitchen. I was just done.



via GIPHY


We went from mood ring copper ... 

Look at the shiny spots, ignore the cake. 

to these lovely formica countertops. 





And we updated the sink from black fiberglass to white cast iron.



This is a picture I took in Home Depot and texted to J to make sure I had the right things. Words cannot express how I loathe buying plumbing stuff. 

Then, J blew my tiny little mind by putting in a tile backsplash.


Ignore the heinous lighting. We're working on
updating that so it doesn't look like we live in a cave.

Y'ALL!!!! It looks so DIFFERENT!!! It's beautiful!! It's like someone else's house with my stuff in it! 

And of course, I don't have any pictures of it as of yet since I'm trying to rearrange storage options and we are in the middle of living. I will get an updated, BETTER LIT picture up ASAP.

We still have a few things we'd like to change... 

update from caveman lighting to a daylight tone...

build new barchairs...

change up the arches over the oven and sink...

swap out the glass in the corner cabinet...

add knobs and pulls to the drawers and doors... 

But we're not in a major hurry on those right now. We will work on those in intervals. 

I'm in absolute awe of my kitchen. And my husband and sons. They spoil me.

2 comments: