Friday, February 24, 2017

Unfrump Yourself!!!

Phew! I'm finally back. We've had dueling sickness running through the house for a few weeks now and I've either been mentally spent from it or completely cracked out on cold meds. I couldn't make you guys suffer through a medicine-fueled, stopped up brain post. You're welcome. Believe me. You are WELCOME!

I'm about to embark on something I've been thinking about doing for a long time. Shoot, let's just lay all the cards out here. I've been NEEDING TO do this.

So what is the "this"?

Dressing like a competent human being at home.

I can see some of you rolling your eyes and hear the extended sighs. HOW in the WORLD is this even a thing?? And now I'm sure some people are wondering if I'm a nudist. 

So let's break this down.

1) No. I'm not a nudist. I wouldn't do that to the world. The only time I've contemplated nudism is when I have 256 Million piles of laundry to do.

2) I'm a homeschooling WAHM. This means getting dressed or looking good while I'm hanging at the house hasn't been extremely high on my priority list. When my day starts, it starts like a cannon shot. but I still have some time to focus on me before the kiddos emerge. When the kids get their day started, there's not a lot of thought about my personal appearance or uninterrupted time. The days I do make an effort are usually the days I go to the "Big Town" to shop, homeschool events, or if we're having company. I mean, I do have to make people think I can adult, you know. It's to the point now that if I put on jeans and a decent shirt (i.e. a not stained t-shirt) the kids start asking where we're going or who's coming. That can't be good. 

So I'm starting the Unfrump Yourself challenge in March. It seems like a great time since it's a new month and right after my birthday. Gotta start 35 on the right foot, you know.


This is a keepin' it real pic for sure. This is how I look 99.9% of the time. Absolute hotness. Rawr.

I've been inspired by the Life as MOM blog. She has a great Fight the Mom Frump series that was like a smack in the face. I'd swear she was tuning into my head and writing about me.

Y'all know I've been working on some sort of a wardrobe challenge for a while now. I got sucked into researching capsule wardrobes a couple of years ago, tried making my own, but I always, ALWAYS wind up climbing back into my comfy, frumpy, stained lounge or yoga pants and t-shirts. Oh, and don't forget the amazingly faded capri yoga pants that have an almost invisible crotch due to wear. *Sigh* I love those pants. I just can't quit you, dilapidated pants!!



via GIPHY

I DO have nice clothes, I just don't WEAR them. What sense does this make?? Well, NONE, of course!! DUH! My main reasoning seems to be fear of ruining my "nice" clothes cleaning and cooking. But really, what good does it do to just have them sit in the closet and take up space??

And yes, I do have aprons and I DO wear them, but I have a fantastic talent for getting stuff on them AROUND or SOAKING THROUGH the apron. The struggle is real, y'all! 

So here's my thinking about doing this challenge...

I'm at home most of the time. My family sees me at home. They see me looking unkempt and honestly pretty blah most of the time. I fix myself for other people and not the people that I love the most! That seems a little... odd. I do realize that this means I am comfortable in my home and that I am at ease for them to see me in any state and that is great. I'm not knocking that for myself or anyone else.

BUT

Wrap your cranium around this thought for a minute...

How do you feel when you look your best? 

When you have on the jeans that look like they were tailored just for you...
When you're wearing that shirt that makes your skin glow...
When you're wearing cute, but comfy shoes...
When you look completely put together...

You feel strong, confident, motivated, and pretty darn amazing!!!!

You feel ready to take on the world!!!

You're ready to punch today in the face!!!

The to-do list doesn't seem as daunting when you feel like a supermodel badass.

You're not worried about people seeing you and thinking you've been sick, kidnapped, out of running water for a couple of weeks, or just not taking you seriously.

Let's face it, we've all had this happen to us. Probably more than once. 


As a WAHM, I think it will also be beneficial. If wearing "real" clothes makes me feel confident and motivated, all that is going to do is be helpful to me in my business! When you work outside the home, most jobs have a dress code you have to follow. This sends out a professional vibe. If I'm my own boss, I still need to be professional. Not to mention, showing my children that being professional is an important part of being an adult. Impressions, especially at job interviews, are important. **Please say "professional" again. My overuse of the word "professional" is probably not professional. 


As a SAHM, I find myself not wanting to go places or be in many pictures because I "look like crap." Seriously, think about that! I don't want to be in PICTURES with my KIDS because I don't like the way I look. I'm literally cutting memories off at the knees because I'm wearing stained clothes. To boil it down:


I AM LETTING CLOTHING DICTATE MY LIFE!!!


I also find it bothersome that I don't dress up very often for my husband. When we were dating, I was very diligent about looking my best for him. We're talking makeup, hair just right, looking my very best. Now after almost 17 years of being married, he may see me looking nice maybe once a week. That doesn't seem right. It seems very unfair to him in a way, like I've stopped caring about his opinion of me. That's absolutely not the case. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it awakened his inner Joey Tribbiani. Just sayin'...


via GIPHY


SO... after all of that rambling and 'splaining, let me let you in on my evil plan.


via GIPHY

THE PLAN:

I'm going to ease into this with baby steps.

* Dress in "real" clothes 3 days a week.

This includes makeup, jewelry, and fixed hair. This DOES NOT include the day I go shopping. 3 separate days. Lawd Jesus, this is going to take some discipline!!
Note: This will not include dresses. I don't do dresses or skirts unless it's a funeral or special event.

* Document outfits so you can go back and see what looks the best.

This should just be called, "Figure out how to dress and take pictures so you don't look like an idiot in the future."

* Have accountability partners.

I am definitely someone who does a lot better with accountability partners. I need someone to message me and say, "Did you get dressed today? Let's see. Send me a picture of your outfit." I need a strict taskmaster.

* Post how this challenge is going.

This is also for accountability's sake and hopefully inspiration for people who may be going through this same thing. I'm all for helping others be it with my successes or failures.

If you want to join me, leave a comment!! Let's channel our inner Beyonce together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment